Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day off

Yesterday, I worked a half day, then went to the gym and worked my ass off until my shirt was dripping wet. As an added bonus, not only was it a half day, but I convinced work to hire a new full time person in my department so we all don't have to work like madmen every second of the day, and I also hit the lowest weight I've been at in five years. Not a bad day I have to say. That being said...I'm not do shit today.


I have lived up to this pretty well, I must say. I put a lot of hard work into watching two movies and eating burritos all day. I must admit, I did fail in one regard, I did go outside and shoot baskets for an hour an a half. Even though I failed, I tried to not exert too much energy while playing basketball.

I have learned to listen to what my body is saying and today it said "lounge like it's your job". I know the importance of giving my body a break, and making sure to not over train, and that part of training is knowing when you've earned a day to do as guru says.

A large part of this endeavour is eating properly. Eating the right mix of carbs, proteins and fat, as well as the right amount of calories, is a tricky thing when you are at one time trying to build muscle, do a lot of cardio, and lose weight. It is especially difficult when my food habits are as much the simple man style of eating as you can get. I want to eat the second I'm hungry, I want it to be simple, easily accommodate condiments, and take 5 minutes or less. If it is some sort of protein style savory thing wrapped, or in between, some sort of bread type product, I'm satisfied.

The problem is, this impulse can cost a lot of money, (especially in Burlington with so many delivery options), and is a real easy way to gain a shit load of weight, and swap about half the 60% of humans that is made up of water, and replace it with sodium. I have found a solution though that occasionally allows me to have a day - like today - where I can relapse into the pattern of the "30 Day High Blood Pressure Fatter You Diet!". Since I work at Healthy Living, I have a large array of foods to choose from that are healthy. Like I said before, my preferred food is essentially a burrito, and I have found the perfect ones at work, Red's Turkey Mole. With these, they have great ingredients, they're huge, and they have the right breakdown of protein, fats and carbohydrates that I need. So on a day like today where I wanted to really not think, I can eat these, not spend a ton of money, and not feel bad about it. Which means in the end I can have one day where it feels like I'm not focusing on training/losing weight, but can indulge myself without it being harmful.

I look at today as a well earned day of slack. It was well accomplished, and leaves me rested for tomorrow when I am going to both run for 5 miles and do an hour of strength training. As for the rest of today, Christa and I are going to watch some 30 rock, then I'm going watch some basketball, and go to sleep dreaming of burritos.

No comments: