Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Moderation

One mistake I have made, and others I have know have made, is that when they workout, they think they have to workout as hard as they possibly can each time they exercise. It's like you think you can get somewhere faster if you just destroy yourself. Like you don't have to put days, months, and years into getting new habits. I watch people at the gym almost falling over on a stair master, clinging on for dear life, and I just want to tell them how destructive they're being. That they can think like a healthy person, and do a moderately intense workout, get all the health benefits and not almost pass out.

 I know that there were times in my life when I was like, "I am going to lose all this weight in three months!". I then start working out like a demon. I workout so hard that I get sick of it and it becomes this tortuous thing. Really though, If you maintain about 65% to 70% of your max heart rate - (220 - age = Max heart rate), you're fine. There are more complicated ways of figuring this out, but if you aren't already working out a lot, you can use this as a good guide. If you're sweating, and huffing a bit when you talk, good things are happening.

My point is, today I got up before 6, and worked a 9 hour day, and didn't have time at work to properly eat before I went to the gym. Instead of going and trying to over work myself, I worked out hard enough to sweat through my shirt, make myself sore tomorrow, but not until I had no energy. Not going full throttle today means I am more likely to go tomorrow. In which case I probably will work myself into the ground, given I've eaten right during the day.

I noticed today how when I worked out with a trainer, I was always pushed to the brink, regardless of the fact that I worked 11 hours, and hadn't eaten since a quick lunch at my desk. On these days, I would feel nauseous, an so dizzy I had to sit down; and not finish my workout. I'm all for pushing yourself as far as possible, but sometimes you only have enough to put moderate effort in, and that's fine.

That being said, I am now going to bed, and tomorrow I am going to contradict all of this and attack the gym like I'm Tallahassee gunning for the world's last twinky.

No comments: