Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Long Day...

Days like these, are when I know I am committed. During this time of year, my job is a madhouse. Leading up to the Holidays the store is so busy, and preparations have to made for the stampede that is going to descend on us in the next week. I have so much to do, that I don't have time to eat as I would like. No sit down lunch, no properly spaced out snacks, not enough water, just grab as I go. I was all over the place, and just mentally and physically spent at the end of my 10 and 1/2 hour day. It would have been really easy to go home. Or even better, go downtown and have a beer. I was so stressed out and tired, I was even craving a cigarette. But, I just put my head down and walked to the gym.

Once I got there, I didn't have much energy, but I still went for 4.5 miles, and did 30 minutes of circuit training. I was so tired by the end, and to be honest, I can't believe I am still awake. Tomorrow I have to make sure that I take better care of myself. I have found that yogurt, oats and a piece of fruit for breakfast, almond butter and honey on whole wheat bread for a mid-morning snack, and a good lunch with some protein, brown rice, a bunch of veggies, with a snack in late afternoon, gets me ready to have a long sustained workout. I need a long workout tomorrow. I think 6 miles, and an hour of circuit training, with at least 20 minutes of stretching is what my goal is tomorrow.

I am going on vacation in early January, and I have a new crazy ass mission for myself. I think in my 9 days off, I am going to shoot for running 70 miles, riding 100 miles on my bike (or indoors if it's freezing) and 6 sessions of strength training. I am thinking about doing 80 miles running, we'll see how the next 6 weeks of training go. I usually, when I'm on vacation, do a lot of lounging; take it real easy. This time though, I am going to push myself as hard as I can without feeling like I am doing myself any damage. I will have to eat, sleep, stretch, and rest perfectly. I am pretty committed to this, and I am positive I can do it no question.

Trying to get ready for this, is why I have been working out even on days like today when just going home would be perfectly understandable. I am going to be ramping up my training another level, even though next week I am working 6:30am to 7pm or so, M,T,W. I will find a way to get in the gym each day, even for 45 minutes. Thanksgiving, I am bringing my own food, passing on all the goodies, leaving before dessert and going for a 6 mile run. I am looking at all this, and I feel a little crazy, but I am serious about running a marathon, and doing a triathlon. The new gym I recently realized is right near my house, has a pool, and I am going to start my swimming training this Sunday.

This is all pretty exciting, pretty tiring too, but immensely satisfying. I won't lie, I am sore pretty much every day, and people keep asking me to go out and have a drink, hang out, and I am ditching people left and right, and I kind of feel like a dick, but I have to keep focused. Ill feel like I have really accomplished what I want, went I finish the triathlon at the end of next summer.

That's really all for today, I am fading and need to go to bed. Tomorrow I will write, and see if I actually leave work on time and manage my 6 miles and hour of circuit training. Wish me luck, and if anybody wants any help, or needs some motivation, let me know.

2 comments:

egowen said...

I hope you're getting massages!!!

Graham said...

Hi Em! I had been getting them, but it was getting expensive. She's a great masseuse, and I should go once right before I go on vacation, and once during. good idea. I miss you Emiy, and I can't wait to see you at Christmas!